Some interesting indie game news this week as the developer behind it UFO50 Evidence provided that the game is still being worked on. In case you’re not familiar with this one, this is an ambitious title that aims to contain 50 different games, all simple and easy to play, made by several developers under one banner. However, the game was announced back in 2017 and since that time very little has come out over the years, suggesting it would be out soon.
As lead developer at Mossmouth Games, that all changed when Derek Yu, revealed the Twitter post below showing part of the game. This proves to those who are skeptical or have just given up that it is indeed still being worked on and will eventually come out. The game still doesn’t have a release date, although Yu posted the link to the Steam page as one of the answers to show where people can get it when it’s done. But it looks like this will still be a wait-and-see title for who knows how long.
“UFO50 is a collection of 50 single and multiplayer games from the creators of spelunky, Belowand catacomb children. Explore a variety of genres, from platform games and shoot ’em ups to puzzle games, roguelites and RPGs. Our goal is to combine a familiar 8-bit aesthetic with new ideas and modern game design.”
- 50 BRAND NEW GAMES – These are NOT minigames or microgames! Although each game varies in size, each is a complete experience with its own title screen, intro, and ending. Some are small arcade-style games, but there are also larger open-world adventures and a JRPG that could take many hours to complete.
- AN ALTERNATIVE UNIVERSE – Based on the story of UFO50, the games were all developed by a fictional ’80s video game company that was obscure but ahead of its time. Some games are sequels to other games in the collection, and different characters appear in multiple titles as part of a common continuity.
- AN INSTANT LIBRARY – All 50 games are available at launch! The concept was inspired by multicarts, retro collections and the experience of going to a friend’s house and browsing through their games library. Jump in and out of games as you please – exploring the collection is part of the fun!
- AUTHENTIC BUT ALSO MODERN – We carefully selected which elements to modernize. Each game shares a unique 32-color palette, and we’ve gone to great lengths to make them look and sound like true 8-bit 80’s titles. On the other hand, that was important to us UFO50 was fun and surprising for modern gamers, so we decided not to stick to the genres and design conventions of the past.
- VERSUS AND CO-OP GAME – About a third of the collection features local multiplayer, including co-op and versus. You can go head-to-head in a new fighting or strategy game…or team up to beat a classic arcade game from an alternate timeline. It’s great for groups!