(Friday 7pm unless otherwise noted.)
1. Cleveland (0-1) v La Cueva (1-0), Wilson Stadium: The coaching axiom states that teams typically see their greatest improvements from week 1 to week 2. Let’s see the Storm recover from their first loss in three years against a Bears defense that throttled Rio Rancho.
2. Moriarty (1-0) at Albuquerque Academy (1-0), Saturday 1:00 p.m.: An outstanding duel in Class 4A and two teams that met in last year’s state quarterfinals. Chargers’ RB Cole Conway missed that game with an injury; he won’t miss that.
3. Volcano Vista (1-0) at West Mesa (1-0), Nusenda Community Stadium: The Mustangs, led by junior QB Elijah Brody, had a great game in Week 1, but they’re making a big step forward against their competition the experienced Hawks.
4. Artesia (1-0) v Hobbs (1-0): The Bulldogs almost miraculously won against Carlsbad on Friday, and Artesia will be put to the test again this season against an Eagles team with high ambitions.
5. Cibola (1-0) at Valley (1-0), Milne Stadium: Aden Chavez returns as the Cougars’ QB after a tumultuous offseason that saw him move to and from Florida.
• Do you have a question you want someone to answer? Do you have a bright spot you’d like to share?
We want to hear from you. Please email [email protected]