PROVIDENCE, RI – The brown men’s water polo team will spend the weekend in Santa Clara, California to compete in the Julian Fraser Memorial Tournament hosted by Santa Clara.
The Bears will play two games on Saturday (October 22), starting at 12:20 p.m. ET against California Baptist and ending the day at 7:00 p.m. ET against San Jose State. Brown will then wrap up Sunday’s (October 23) game against host Santa Clara at 11 a.m. ET.
RECOGNIZE THE BEARS
- Brown emerged 3-1 at last weekend’s Harvard Invitational with wins over Gannon, Pomona-Pitzer and Salem. The Bears’ only loss was an 8-11 loss to No. 6 Long Beach State.
- Iliad Stothart continues to lead the Bears with 43 goals, followed by Gab Chang (38) and Leo Berkman (35).
- In addition to his 35 goals, Berkman has 20 assists and 20 steals. Cole Atwell also filled the stats for the Bears with 24 goals, 33 assists as team-best and 24 steals as team-leader.
- Cole Neumann leads the team in blocks in goal after amassing 115 this year.
SCOUTING CALIFORNIA BAPTIST
- California Baptist is 17-9 on the season and has won five of its last six games. The Lancers beat Brown 13-12 in the second game of the season.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SAN JOSE STATE
- San Jose is 6-11 on the season and had lost six straight games to the top-13 teams before beating Whittier College.
- Brown and San Jose State met at the Julian Fraser Memorial last season when the Spartans defeated the Bears 16-10.
EXPLAIN SANTA CLARA
- Santa Clara is 6-8 on the season and has had a three-game winning streak with a 10-9 loss to No. 13 UC San Diego. The Broncos will play four games before ending the weekend against the Bears.
- Zach Fales is the top scorer for Santa Clara with 22 goals.
- Santa Clara defeated Brown 14-11 in the first game of the 2021 season.
BROWN UNIVERSITY SPORTS FOUNDATION
The lifeblood of the athletics program, the Brown University Sports Foundation (BUSF) exists to enhance the student-athlete experience through philanthropic support from alumni, parents, fans and friends. A gift from the Sports Foundation has a direct impact on today’s brown bears, helping them to be the best in the classroom, in competition, and most importantly, in the community. To learn more about supporting the bears, please click here.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL
For the latest information on Brown Athletics please follow
@BrownU_Bears on twitter, @BrownU_Bears on Instagram, like BrownUBears on Facebook and subscribe to the Brown Athletics Youtube channel.