Chocolate Chip-Pumpkin Blondies

I’m trying to pace my posts these days. After all, it won’t be long (I hope) before I actually join the 9-5 workforce, when testing 4-5 recipes a day is no longer a luxury. Then, I’ll wish I’d saved up some recipes to avoid the last-minute scramble for a post after a weeks-long hiatus.

All that said, these blondies were too good not to share right away. Like, today. Like, hours after I made them an devoured 3. I’ll justify my haste by reminding you all that pumpkin is at its peak of abundance right now. Come the new year, you’ll be circling the neighborhood grocery stores, desperately pulling away cans of sweet potato and butternut squash puree, hoping there’s a last, lingering can of pumpkin tucked away back there. I know that feeling all too well, which is why I’m taking full advantage of the overflowing shelves of pumpkin these days and want you to do so as well before it’s too late.

The best part about these blondies (ok, maybe second best — taste probably takes the #1 spot) is that they are pretty simple to make. I tried to stay away from too many ingredients, so I only used one type of flour in this recipe and no gums or starches. The pumpkin and yacon hold everything together very nicely. You can store these in the refrigerator for a few days, but I feel obligated to tell you (after all my previous hype) that they are really, really good slightly warm.

Pumpkin Blondies:

These blondies are chewy and moist. To make them a bit cakier, bake in an 8″ rather than a 9″ pan. I made my own sugar-free chocolate chips (I provied the recipe below as well), but you can feel free to use whichever chocolate chips you prefer in recipes, or you can chop up your favorite chocolate bar and use that. This recipe is a good option if you’re on a low-glycemic or anti-candida diet. But if you’re not, feel free to play around with other sweeteners, as yacon and stevia can be somewhat pricey (though the stevia, at least, will last you a long time). If using a different brand of stevia than NuNaturals, make sure to start with less and experiment with adding more to taste in the batter — I’ve found other brands in such high amounts overly bitter for my tastes.

1 1/2 cups brown rice flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/4 cup yacon syrup (you can experiment with agave, maple syrup or molasses here as well)

2 teaspoons NuNaturals vanilla liquid stevia (if you only have NuNaturals plain liquid stevia, add 1 tablespoon vanilla extract to the batter)

1/2 cup melted Earth Balance Buttery Spread

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

1 cup canned pumpkin puree

homemade chocolate chip/chunks (recipe below)

1. Preheat oven to 325.

2. In a small bowl, whish together flour, baking powder and salt.

3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together buttery spread, stevia and yacon until smooth. Slowly add dry ingredients and beat slowly until incorporated. Beat in applesauce and pumpkin until everything is just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

4. Turn out batter in a pre-greased 9×9″ or 8×8″ baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until center bounces back slightly when pressed (will feel less done than a traditional cake — this is O.K.). Let cool about 15-20 minutes before slicing.

Homemade Sugar-free Chocolate Chips:

1/3 cup coconut oil

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon NuNaturals liquid vanilla stevia

1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat until heated through, about 1-2 minutes. Add chocolate and stevia and whisk until shiney and smooth. Pour into a deep baking dish or parchment-lined container (the less shallow, the better — you don’t want the chocolate to spread too thin), cover and freeze for about 1/2 hours, or until completely hardened. Chop into pieces immediately before using.

Comments

Oh, Beth, these look so good! I’m weak for pumpkin anything. I actually use real pumpkin and freeze it for later. Heavenly.

Special thanks for the homemade chocolate chips recipe! Can’t wait to try that. :-)

Hugs,
    Shirley

Claire — Thanks!! Can I just say, I love your site? So, thanks for the comment. Your photos are gorgeous!

Shirley — That’s such a good idea with the pumpkin. I should start doing that, because I actually recently read that they are finding BPA in cans which can leach into the foods. So I am trying to limit my canned products (I was trying before, but it’s such a time-saver!)You’ve inspired me to start roasting my own.

Maggie — I think maple syprup could be replaced for the yacon, and probably coconut sugar for the stevia. Not sure, though, how it would affect the overall sweetness or texture, but see how the batter looks/tastes and adjust from there. Let me know how it goes!

Mo — I know, Whole Paycheck is so crazy! But, one of my favorite stores nonetheless. I live dangerously close to one, so I need self-imposed restrictions on the number of visits I make a week : ) Hope you enjoy as much as I did!

You are my dessert idol!! I have been thinking about blondies (and pumpkin, and chocolate) a lot lately.. . and here these are! I can’t wait to try this recipe and love, love the homemade chocolate chips. :)

Those look amazing! I love that you used stevia for the sugar-free chocolate chips. Artificial sweeteners like Splenda weird me out.

Love the recipe. Made the blondies and they were wonderful bit Ocala back thirty minutes later and they had collapsed. Any advice on what I did or how I could prevent this?

Hi Erica — Thanks for you comment. I’ve heard of brownies collapsing when they are taken out of the oven a bit too early or when the door is open. But my mom claims that “a good brownie is supposed to collapse, otherwise that means it is too done.” Mine sort of fell in the middle. So, hopefully they’re still good, but otherwise, you can try baking them a bit longer next time. Glad you enjoyed, collapsing aside : )

Wow, what a great recipe! I am always excited to find new gluten free treats since I am giving up gluten for awhile to see if it is the cause of my stomach problems. The homemade chocolate chips look great – can’t wait to try it!

I made these yesterday and even did the SF chocolate chips! (I never knew it was that easy!) Anyway, mine were a little dry, but I used low sugar maple syrup in place of the yacon, which could have been the culprit. Still good though!
    Mo@MommyRD recently posted..Random Drinks

Hi Mo! Yeah, it’s probably the maple syrup, as mine were very moist. Good to know, though. I’ll make a note for others to add some extra liquid if experimenting with different sweeteners. Yacon probably gives the gooey texture, as it’s quite gooey itself. Thanks for the feedback!! : )

Your gf chocolate pumpkin blondies rock! They look amazing & lovely too!

Many greetings from a recent gf foodie from Brussels, Belgium!!!

12. Nan says

Thanks for this stevia recipe! I just tried it using sweetleaf liquid stevia – I used just a little over 1 tsp instead of 2 tsp. There is definitely a little bitter aftertaste. I might have to look for NuNaturals brand.

I put quite a few semi-sweet chocolate chips – probably about 3/4 cup. I don’t taste the stevia as much when I get a moutful of gooey chocolate! I used maple syrup and added in some walnuts too.

My husband has a real sweet tooth and is trying to gain some weight after being sick. But he’s having trouble with meniere’s disease (dizziness, hearing loss, ringing in the ears)and we think sugar might be a partial culprit. So I’ve been looking for stevia-friendly baked goodies. He thinks these are perfectly acceptable! Thanks so much!

13. Shelby says

Hi Beth, I just came across your blog and found myself bookmarking a ton of the recipes! I was recently diagnosed with a long list of food allergies, and I’m still figuring out what substitutions I can make for various things. Your recipes are amazing – great ingredients yet flexible enough to adjust as needed.

This recipe looks so good! However I’m allergic to coconut (and all tree nuts) – do you have any recommendations for good substitutes for coconut ingredients such as coconut milk and oil?

Hi Shelby — I’m not sure about a perfect substitute for the coconut oil. That’s a good question. I think, unfortunately, trial and error might be the only way to go about that one. On the other hand, any dairy-free milk would probably replace a light coconut milk. Just expect the end result to be a little less rich and perhaps a little more dry (consider adding more liquid to compensate). I am thinking about adding more tags for different allergies (such as nut free, coconut free, etc.) Anyways, thanks for stopping by! Glad you found me : )

15. SophieG says

I have been looking for a recipe for chocolate chips! Thank you :)
    I wonder if I could substitute the cocoa powder for carob, because my mom is allergic to chocolate, and I bake for her sometimes. I really enjoy your blog!!!!!!