Strawberry Scones

As hard as this may be to believe, there was a point in my life when my sweet tooth was virtually non-existent. Sure, I’d enjoy the occassional tiramisu at an Italian restaurant, or ice cream on a hot summer day. But generally, I didn’t enjoy sweets. I was one of those savory-over-sweet at brunch people; I’d prefer to eat more for dinner and not save room for dessert. It wouldn’t be a stretch to say that I probably went months at a time without eating anything sweet.

Then a funny thing happened. I was diagnosed with food allergies. Suddenly, every time I saw a chocolate chip cookie, I wanted it. Every ice cream cone taunted me, each piece of cake at a wedding. Let me tell you something: nothing kicks a sweet tooth in gear like thinking you’ll never be able to eat anything sweet again. I was desperate to re-create everything I couldn’t eat, and developed my newfound sweet tooth in the process.

Despite liking things a bit sweeter these days, I’ll always have a soft spot in my heart for the not-too-sweet, biscuit-like scone —  the perfect end to a meal for sweet tooths and non-sweet-tooths alike. I love just about any kind of scone, but drop scones are an easy, almost foolproof, quick baked good. These scones are also quite healthy. They’re made with whole grains, and sweetened with just stevia. I’m loving NuNaturals liquid vanilla stevia for baking. When I wanted to start baking more with stevia, I bought a bunch of different varieties and have been trying them all to see what I like (since I haven’t always been the biggest liquid stevia fan). I think this brand is definitely a good bet if you’re looking for nice flavor and less bitterness than you might expect from a liquid stevia. It may seem a bit on the pricey side (and it is, compared to many refined sugars), but remember that since it’s vanilla flavored, you won’t have to worry about paying for pricey vanilla extract. And since a little goes a long way (only 1/2 teaspoon for these scones), it will last you for several recipes.

I decided to make these today to celebrate the start of strawberry season, and to celebrate my last day of law school. Ever. Which means, today was my last day of school. Ever (I’m not counting Bar review classes here, of course…because that would just be no fun).  So here’s to the beginning of a season, and the end of an era.

Strawberry Drop Scones:

Yield: 8-10 scones

1 cup sorghum flour

1/2 cup potato starch

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon lemon zest

1/3 cup Spectrum organic shortening

1/2 cup plus 2-3 tablespoons light coconut milk, shaken, plus more for brushing

2 tablespoons agave nectar

1 dropper NuNaturals liquid vanilla stevia (plus more to taste)

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, potato starch, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add shortening and crumble into dry ingredients with hand. Add coconut milk, stevia and lemon zest and stir with a spoon until everything comes together. If batter is dry, add additional tablespoons of coconut milk one by one until it comes together. Fold in strawberries.

3. Drop scones by 1/4 cup measurements onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly brush tops with coconut milk. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden.

Comments

A great way to celebrate the end of school (well, mostly!) :) I also love NuNaturals, as you know, and I bet these scones are amazing. Scones really are the perfect sweet and not-too-sweet balance! Can’t wait to try these.

Wow, these look great, Beth! And, gf/df/rsf, I’m in! I just won the NuNaturals stevia over at Ricki’s, so I can’t wait to try this recipe. I’ll probably make them for the tea my group is having this month. :-)

Oh, that sweet thing … I was born with that gene. That’s why rsf is challenging. So, thanks for the amazing help with that!

Shirley

I was the same way when I went gluten-free! I have always been a savory gal. Never really was into cakes or candies. And then somehow my whole craving radar shifted – and I have to really watch myself on the sweets! Especially when I decide to bake a GF sweet treat – if I don’t have plans to give it away, I might eat several servings within a very short period of time. I really do love these kind of treats, though – scones are greatness. I definitely need to try this baking with stevia thing.

Ellen and Alisa — thanks!!

Ricki — I definitely think NuNaturals is the way to go. I did a product test in my kitchen (meaning I basically just tried a bunch of brands to see which one was worth shelling out for) and this one came out the winner.

Alta — it’s so true, right? Oh, and I definitely eat too much within a short period of time, too. I either freeze things (the practical solution — though I discovered I like eating frozen cookies, so that one doesn’t always work) or stuff my fiance with baked goods (he has a freakishly fast metabolism. I’m jealous). Try the stevia! I didn’t like it for awhile but now I’m hooked : )

Shirley,

Arghh. You keep ending up in my spam. Why is that? Does my spam detector not understand that “gluten free easily” is NOT the same thing as “free eyelid surgery easily”? ha. I hope you do make them for the group! I’m sure they’ll be a hit — except, I think they’re best when slightly warmed. So if you’re making them ahead I’d say heat them in the oven beforehand to brown and slightly crisp. I can’t tell if these are scones or biscuits or both but I’m gonna roll with “scones.”

While the sweet thing wasn’t genetic, but rather acquired, I was DEFINITELY born with the anything salty gene. That’s why I no longer buy tortilla chips!! I’ll eat them all.

Beth

Wow! Another amazing recipe! These look super-good! I once made a really good recipe for blueberry scones using oat flour and maybe agave? but I think I lost the recipe/or the notes I made about the changes I made to it….(that used to happen to me all the time! until I started my blog…and now it doesn’t happen quite so much!) :) I also have learned to write it down somewhere safe…right away! Anyways, these look delish!

I was definitely born or at least brought up to like sugar so much! My family still eats tons of refined sugar and white flour….blek! but it just shows you how most of america eats and what is cheapest! Anyways, I understand though because it is so easy to just eat it anyways especially when it is homemade…you can say, well, at least it doesn’t have a million ingredients that I can’t pronounce, so it’s ok right?? lol. sorry about the rant! and about the salty tooth—-I have that too. I don’t usually get chips because I will just eat them all!

7. Kelli says

Alright, I have only been on your site for a minute, but I want to try every recipe.