Crispy Roasted Chickpeas over Quinoa

This recipe was a bit of an accident, as I had not planned on making anything to post tonight, but was looking, rather, to make a quick dinner out of a few pantry items. I had chickpeas on hand for making Happy Herbivore’s chickpea tacos, which I tried last week and was craving again. But not feeling like dirtying up any dishes to make guacamole (which is a must with tacos in my book), I thought I’d just whip up some quinoa and throw the crispy, roasted chickpeas over that. If you’re looking for a quick and inexpensive gluten-free, vegan recipe, be sure to give this one a try (or try out Happy Herbivore’s tacos).

Tonight I also discovered a new way to prepare quinoa. That discovery happened by accident as well. Actually, it was also the result of my not wanting to dirty any additional dishes (see, laziness can pay off sometimes), so instead of cooking the quinoa in a separate saucepan before transferring it to another pan to saute, I simply sauteed a cup of rinsed quinoa on high in equal parts olive and sesame oil (about a teaspoon each, plus more as needed) until it was no longer wet in a large saute pan. Then I added a cup and a half of water, covered, and cooked until the water was absorbed (about 5 minutes). Then I grated in a large clove of garlic and added a drizzle of wheat-free tamari (I’d guess anywhere from a few teaspoons to a tablespoon). I sauteed until the quinoa was dry and crispy. Then I added a handful of baby spinach, stirred, and removed from the heat. The quinoa was crisp and light and flavorful. With the addition of crispy chickpeas, it was almost the perfect dish (and almost — just almost – as good as Charlie’s stir-fried quinoa creation).

Below is my version of the roasted chickpeas inspired by the recipe from Happy Herbivore, which is a new favorite site thanks to Twitter, which I recently joined and not sure what I did without. I used to think Twitter was the reincarnation of 8th grade AIM updates about one’s daily routine. Going to the store. Eating dinner now. So excited it’s Friday. Well, it’s that in part, but so much more. I’ve discovered so many great new food bloggers just through twittering, and it’s a great resource for a constant stream of information updates. I must admit, that after much reluctance, I’m now hooked.

Crispy Roasted Chickpeas:

1 14-oz. can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry

2 teaspoons wheat-free tamari

1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice

2 teaspoons sesame oil

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon coriander

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 425.

2. Whisk together all ingredients except chickpeas in a medium-sized bowl. Add chickpeas and toss until coated. Turn out onto a flat baking sheet and bake in preheated oven until browned and slightly crisp, about 25-30 minutes, tossing once halfway through.

3. Serve chickpeas over quinoa (see above), rice or inside a crispy corn tortilla with lettuce and guacamole. Or simply let cool and eat as a snack.Yum!

Comments

1. gidgetknits says

Thanks for the new recipe! I tried the stir fried quinoa and chick peas the other night – delicious!!! It’s a brilliant combination and anything requiring less washing up is good to me!

2. Liz says

Ok now that you’ve got me started I think I’m going to be an over-commenter. I love these chickpeas – make them all the time for a snack. But do you ever have the problem of some of them exploding in the oven? I’m not kidding, this happens to me. I usually bake at 450, and my oven is terrible…so maybe that’s it….

Interesting. I generally boil then sauté, but this sounds much easier. I’m also a “don’t use more pots and pans than necessary because I hate to wash them” cook.
    I’ll have to try this next time.

This looks great! I’m always looking for quick and simple (yet tasty!) ways to whip up supper fast. I love both quinoa and chickpeas, so this is right up my alley. The photo is beautiful too!

~Aubree Cherie

Your recipe sounds great–what a terrific way to use quinoa. Can’t wait to try crispy chickpeas! I think I’m the same way with twitter–once you sort of catch on, it’s hard to imagine life without it (BT, I guess) ;)

Wow thanks for all the great comments.

Gidgetknits — I’m so glad you liked the stir-fried quinoa (hear that, Charlie?) Also, I loved seeing the pics of my lasagna on your blog, by the way — very cool to see someone else’s interpretation of my food!! : ) (I don’t like to measure, either, for the record. but kind of have to when I’m posting recipes!)

Lindsay — me too! Feel free to pass along another other new ideas you’ve come across : )

Liz — I love that you’re a new comment addict. I love, love LOVE it (and you). I haven’t had the problem with the chickpea explosions. ha. But I haven’t tried it at 450, either. Probably makes for a better crunch, but I guess at a price..

Alisa — I hadn’t thought about using the rice cooker for quinoa. Good idea!

Charlie — I am always looking for ways to use the least amount of pots as possible! But I really do think it gives the quinoa a nice texture and separation this way as well.

Alta — bummer about the chickpeas… : (

Aubree — Thanks!!

Ricki — Thanks! This was the second time trying the chick peas crispy in the oven. Very good.

Hi Beth! My first time here, really lovely place you have here! I have never roasted chickpeas, but I obviously need to try this. I often find quinoa too wet for my taste, so I am most excited to try this technique. I’ve added you to my reader, and I’m following you on twitter now. I’ll be back! :)

wow…you are just amazing! This looks absolutely divine and so healthy for you! This is something I could potentially convert to be eatable by me on the elimination diet…in the nearer future when I can eat chickpeas…but maybe I could sub lentils…hmmm….looks great! :)

Sarah — I love your site, too (hence the “favorite site” shout out)! Thanks so much for stopping by!! I hope you do try the quinoa this way — now I don’t make it any other way!! : )

Ari — yayy — you’re back! : ) So good to hear (read) from you. I’m gonna have a tough time catching up with all your comments but I’ll try — they’ve been fun to read! Thanks!

10. Kelli says

I not only want more recipes for quinoa, but my friend just came back from Israel, were they eat crispy chick peas!