Apple “Cheddar” Muffins

I just discovered Daiya vegan cheese. It might have been the best thing to ever happen to me. Or the most dangerous. It started as just a “special treat” — something I sprinkled on top of dishes as a finishing touch. Then I knew I was really developing a problem when I made a gorgeous, green stir fry with tofu, broccoli and asparagus last weekened. The only problem was that I added a little too much sauce. Simple solution: I just added the rice I was going to serve alongside the stir fry into the dish to soak up the sauce. But that’s when my mind started to do crazy things, and I thought maybe a bit of cheese would be good in this…So I added some. Cheese in stir-fry? I know, I might have a Daiya problem.

I also used Daiya to make a focaccia pizza, then to make a wonderful, baked vegan soy-free mac and cheese. Look out for that recipe on here soon. And then I used Daiya cheddar cheese for these muffins. They are subtle and savory and best when eaten warm out of the oven. Still, they’re quite good as a snack, and I imagine that some scallions would add a really nice kick here and a nice flavor.

And no, Daiya didn’t pay me or ask me to write anything for them. No free cheese (I wishhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…but that would lead to some real trouble). I just really, really like this cheese. It’s everything you thought vegan, dairy-free, casein-free, soy-free cheese could never be. It’s good.

Yield: 12 muffins

Vegan Apple Cheddar Muffins:

1 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill garbanzo/fava bean flour

1/2 cup potato starch

1/4 cup arrowroot

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk (or other dairy-free milk)

1/4 cup grapeseed oil

1 tablespoon agave nectar

1 cup grated green apple

1 1/2 cups Daiya vegan cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flours and arrowroot, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add in milk, agave and grapeseed oil and whisk until smooth. Fold in apples and cheddar.

3. Drop batter by heaping 1/4 cup into pre-greased muffin tins (or muffins tins lined with baking cups). Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Let sit in baking tins for a few minutes before removing.

Comments

I, too, have been so amazed and smitten by Daiya. I’d been reading about it on other blogs for at least a year and FINALLY found a local store that carries it. I’ve been going nuts with it. Can’t wait to see your mac and cheeze recipe using it. I’m working on something similar. It will be fun to compare notes!

Ellen

Beth, those muffinslook AMAZING! I am so fascinated now to try Daiya. Next time I make my way to whole foods I’m definitely going to try it. Since cheese has never been a real part of my diet, I’ve never had the apple-cheddar combo. I may have to give it a go :)

Ellen — I heard about Daiya, too, from other food blogs. I finally had to check it out for myself. So glad I did! Can’t wait to see your mac and cheese recipe. At first I thought I added too much cheese, but we’ve been enjoying it all week, so maybe there wasn’t too much after all.

p.s. can’t wait to see your mac and cheese, too!

Alisa — Thank you!! : ) I always see apple cheddar combos on sandwhiches and have wanted to try it in a muffin for a long time. Daiya was the first cheese that it worked with!

Colette — Thanks! here’s the link to all the nutritional info on Daiya’s site: http://www.daiyafoods.com/products.html#nutritionals

These sound just fabulous–especially with that classic cheddar/apple flavor combination! And glad there’s so little agave–I might even be able to adapt this recipe. :)

Ricki — I would love seeing your adaptiation of this, as I love seeing just about anything that comes out of your kitchen…let alone an adaptation of one of my recipes! : )

Hmm……I’m not sure how I would like cheddar and apples together?? Never done that before! I’ve never heard of that cheeese….I looked it up and I’m a little concerned only because of the oils it uses….I didn’t think those where too good for you!?!

7. Leah says

I just made these…with a few variations based on what I had at home. Amazingly enough they are so moist due to the apples. Very good!