Chocolate Bark

I’ve been working on a recipe for chocolate bark that’s also low carb and grain free. For this recipe, I used Truvia instead of agave, which makes the bark technically not grain-free, since erythritol, which is used to make Truvia, is made with corn. Still, Truvia adds no additional calories and provides a nice, aftertaste-less sweetness that resembles sugar. Though I have tried agave in this recipe, it came out a bit “melty” with the agave, though I’m sure it would work if you enjoyed it straight from the fridge. See below for a grain-free version using agave nectar. The agave bark will stay hard if kept refrigerated. You might also try using a liquid stevia; I like the flavored ones best. Although the Truvia keeps the bark nice and crisp, it still tends to melt faster than regular chocolate when left at room temperature for more than 15 minutes or so. Even so, I made a version of this bark for one of my bridal showers on Saturday and received enough compliments on it to feel good enough about sharing it here.

As a chocolate fanatic myself, I’m looking forward to going back to my apartment in New York on Wednesday, where a good portion of this bark awaits in my fridge. Yum!  As the picture tends to show, this bark will whiten a bit at the top as it freezes. You can place a layer of plastic wrap over the chocolate to prevent this from happening, though this will create some wrinkles on the top of the bark. As far as I’m concerned, as long as it tastes good, right? This bark would also work with chopped, whole almonds, pistachios, walnuts, pecans, or even some dried fruit. Experiment and let me know what’s been good!

Happy Passover for all those celebrating.

Sugar Free Chocolate Bark (Truvia version):

2/3 cup coconut oil (liquified)

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

12 packets Truvia

1/2 cup pepitas, unsalted

1/3 cup unsweetened flaked coconut

Grain Free Chocolate Bark (agave version):

1/2 cup liquified coconut oil

2/3 cup cocoa powder

1/3 cup agave nectar

1/2 cup pepitas/nuts

1/3 cup flaked coconut

1. Over a double boiler on medium heat, whisk coconut oil, chocolate and Truvia/agave together for about 4-5 minutes, or until mixture begins to bubble.

2. If making Truvia version, transfer mixture to a blender and blend until smooth (this is to help dissolve the Truvia into the mixture).

3. Add in pepitas and coconut and stir.

4. Pour mixture into a large baking dish or rimmed baking sheet that’s lined with parchment paper. Spread smooth with a spatula or spoon. Cover with plastic wrap, foil or a fitted top and freeze for 15-20 minutes, or until chocolate sets. You may break up chocolate and store the rest in the refrigerator until ready to eat.

Comments

I was just going to email you to see how the chocolate project was coming along! So glad you found a good formula! Unfortunately, I’m not sure if Truvia is safe for me because I have a corn allergy…I wonder if other sweeteners would work.

Dana — I know, I realized after I made these that the Truvia is made with corn!! I felt so bad! I am going to try to make these with agave tonight and see how they turn out. I’ll report back. The good news is, I went to Stogo the other day and realized they sell lots of chocolate bars made with agave. When you try it out, you’ll have to pick up some of those as well. In the meantime, I’ll keep you posted on how this recipe works with other sweeteners. Thanks for being patient!!!

Ari — I only tried it with liquid stevia and found it a bit bitter, but I think the flavored variety would yield a better flavor here. Perhaps if you tried flavored, dried stevia that would work as well? Feel free to report back if any of the substitutions work well here : ) Thanks for the comment!

3. Veera from Singapore says

Hi Beth,
    nice chocolate recipe…and thanks for sharing it…best wishes on yr creativity…btw, appreciate please provide the amount (in grams or cup) for the Truvia and also can i substitute Truvia with honey or maltitol with the same amount….thanks for sharing…:)

4. Whitney says

Love your blog! Do think you will ever list the nutritional information for your recipes?

Hi Whitney — Thanks!!! I’ve never thought about doing the nutritional information, but maybe that’s something to think about in the future…I would love to try!

Veera — 1 packet of Truvia is 3.5g. I’m not sure about cup amount, since it’s only sold in packets, but each packet is = to two teaspoons of sugar if that helps. Not sure about honey, but I did add the agave version above, so that might provide somewhat of a baseline. I’ve never cooked with maltitol, but I imagine it wouldn’t be too difficult to sub-in. Let me know how it goes!! Thanks!

6. Geetha says

Made this with NuNaturals liquid stevia and threw in 1/4 dried cherries– so awesome! Thanks for this recipe.

Trackbacks

1. […] When it comes to chocolate or chocolate desserts, many of us are definitely addicts, but too much of a “good” thing may not always be a good thing.  While looking for some “healthier” chocolate recipes, I came upon a Chocolate Bark recipe from the Delectably Free Blog, written by Beth from New York City. Beth features recipes that are gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and sugar-free, but doesn’t sacrifice in flavor, which makes the name of her blog quite appropriate.  In fact, she made this chocolate bark for a recent bridal shower and everyone gave it a thumbs up.  With that kind of seal of approval, this Chocolate Bark is definitely a healthier indulgence than any store bought candy bar, so why not give it a try.  Even better, there are two versions  to choose from that you can make depending on your preference.  To see Beth’s original post, click here. […]

2. […] When it comes to chocolate or chocolate desserts, many of us are definitely addicts, but too much of a “good” thing may not always be a good thing.  While looking for some “healthier” chocolate recipes, I came upon a Chocolate Bark recipe from the Delectably Free Blog, written by Beth from New York City. Beth features recipes that are gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and sugar-free, but doesn’t sacrifice in flavor, which makes the name of her blog quite appropriate.  In fact, she made this chocolate bark for a recent bridal shower and everyone gave it a thumbs up.  With that kind of seal of approval, this Chocolate Bark is definitely a healthier indulgence than any store bought candy bar, so why not give it a try.  Even better, there are two versions  to choose from that you can make depending on your preference.  To see Beth’s original post, click here. […]